Inter-Tribal Council of Nevada was founded by John Dressler of the Washoe Tribe of California and Nevada in 1963 and gained its non-profit status in 1966. ITCN is a consortium and governing body of the 28 member Tribal governments in the state of Nevada. The ITCN Executive Board consists of the Tribal Chairperson of each Member of the Corporation.
Since its inception, ITCN has served as a consortium to advance and serve on various tribal issues and is a recipient of many federal and state funds that provide social service programs, resources and support to the tribal communities throughout the state.
Inter-Tribal Council of Nevada Preamble
We, the members of the Indian tribal groups of the State of Nevada, of the United States of America, in meeting assembled on the 30 day of November, 1974, at the Reno Sparks, New Facility Building, hereby propose this amended Constitution and Bylaws of the Inter-Tribal Council of Nevada, Inc.
We have associated ourselves together for the following purposes:
- To secure for the members of Indian tribal groups of the State of Nevada the rights and benefits which should accrue to them pursuant to treaties and all legal, moral and equitable commitments and undertakings of the United States Government;
- To preserve and protect the Indian cultural values and heritage and at the same time increase the understandings of the members of Indian tribal groups of the State of Nevada and their fuller participation in the institutions of free government in the state and communities in which they live;
- To secure and promote the general welfare and education of the members of Indian tribal groups of the State of Nevada and their full employment and exercise of all the privileges of citizenship in the United State;
- To hasten and improve the education of the members of Indian tribal groups of the State of Nevada in a basis of equality of instruction and facilities with other citizens;
- To enlighten the public with respect to Indian affairs and promote a better understanding between the Indians and their fellow citizens of the State of Nevada and of the United States.